Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Tale of Two Alburgues

Hubert's bed 
Laraine's bed
  

   Last night we stayed in a five star alburgue. Clean (they had us remove our shoes at the door), literally zen music playing in the background. It was small and so delightful. 
     Tonight in Astorga...yikes!! A cool looking old Spanish house. But we go upstairs to the room (which is hard because we just hiked 10.4 miles), and I sit down on the lower bunk and can see through the floor boards to the entry below. All making me wary...but hey it's an adventure. So I put my fitted sheet on the mattress that has been treated with permethrin...(glad I have it). But all is still well until...
     Hubert the German enters...puts down his stuff close by...still ok...but he starts stripping down...grunting heavily as he does so...stop Hubert stop...pulls off his boots...smelly...but at least there are open French doors and a balcony he sets them out on. Pulls off his shirt...stop Hubert...please for the love of all that's sacred...stop...no now it's his shorts...he's down to his wonder wear...Laraine and I studying the walls...you could have at least been young, thin, and attractive Hubert. And Hubert is off to the showers...
      A few minutes later I'm off to the showers...sure wish there were men and women separated, because I'm next to Hubert. At least they are little separate rooms...but I can hear Hubert singing, and groaning. I'm thinking it was a hard hike Hubert...and trying not to think any deeper than that. 
     In the shower I decided I can't go one more day without shaving my legs or folks will question me and Laraine. It's hard to bend over and shave your legs in a narrow stall (and a tired sore back), but Hubert's singing, moaning, and groaning urged me on...I was trying to remember that Hubert is a free agent and can choose for himself...
      I finally made it through...dried with my micro terry towel (kind of like a sham wow...and I'm really shiny:)...I come back to my delightful sagging mattress and there is Hubert...napping on his bed in said skivvies. 
     Tomorrow night I'm choosing the joint. 

1 comment: