Wednesday, June 10, 2015

From Warrior to Wimp

There is a hierarchy of admiration on the Camino. 

Most admired are those who start in France and do the whole enchilada. That is nearly 500 miles. Those who walk it in its entirety, carrying their own packs, without skipping sections - just gutting it out to Santiago are the kings of the road

Then there are those who do a section, also carrying their packs. 

Then there are those who walk with a light pack, sending luggage ahead by a transport van company. 

In the last two days there are lots of walkers without packs
I feel a little jealous. 

When I put my pack on each morning it feels like an old friend, perfectly fitted to my back, warm and secure. 
After a few hours it feels like a gargoyle with a lead bottom, dragging from my neck muscles, heavy and burdensome. I am always glad to take it off. 
Good thing Spain is so beautiful

I don't know what these are but they look like the pussy willows my dad always brought my 
Mom in the spring. My parents were romantics. 

Today I'm grateful for cola cao, which, when mixed into steamed milk can cure anything, even backpack loathing. 

3 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing. I love reading the blog each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day wouldn't be complete with a dose of the Camino. I have loved this trip sans pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My day wouldn't be complete with a dose of the Camino. I have loved this trip sans pack.

    ReplyDelete