Tuesday, June 9, 2015

This is What it Smells Like


For the last several days we have been in very rural areas. Every little town has more cows than people. The smell of manure is sharp and present. Silage scent wafts by on the breeze. These smells are not unpleasant to me. They are the smells I grew up with. A barn out back was part of my childhood. 

In the countryside there is the smell of cut grass where they scythe along the pilgrim path. It smells green with every step. The flowers that are so abundant smell good too, some growing on tall stalks. I've never seen calla lilies at the side of the road before
In the early hours of hiking the fog smells clean and wet and I fill my lungs. 
Today we crossed a great river at the town of Portomartin. 
The Main Street is covered with vendors
You can buy a wheel of cheese or pig feet tied in pairs. 

I ate pizza and it smelled good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment